Re: Terminal Servers

Dusan Janjic ( djanjic@rockbridge.net )
Thu, 04 Dec 1997 15:16:39 -0500

--------------1B6F2F185ACAC31B9214093D

Robert H. Clugston wrote:

> To All,
> I know this doesn't belong here but I was wondering what other people are using for terminal servers. I'm looking at either a Ascend Max 4048 or Livingston PM3. The Ascend unit is going for $164 /port and the Livingston is going for $249 /port. Which is better?

If you have these prices right, which is doubtful, go with Ascend. I can't say I am familiar with Ascend box, but I can tell you little bit about PM-3. When we were pricing our equipment which was months ago, Ascend was more expensive. Maybe they dropped their prices?

We have had a lot of trouble with PM3-s for months, on chanelized T-1 (PRI or BRI is not available here). They released it months before it was actually ready for production environment. Few weeks ago they released new version of operating system 3.7.2 which had finaly
fixed many bugs. But it took them months

I have to say one thing though, it is a nice product now, easy to setup, easy to manage and easy to integrate with Emerald Radius suite. You may want to check with them if they printed the manuals for PM3 now, in the time we ordered it, our units came with manuals for
PM-2.s

It is also good idea to subscribe to both manufacturers mailing lists for awhile and see what kind of questions and troubles people have. That can give you some ideas what kind of trouble you may get in to with any of those products.

Good luck.

--------------1B6F2F185ACAC31B9214093D

begin: vcard
fn: Dusan Janjic
n: Janjic;Dusan
org: Rockbridge Global Village
adr: 17 S. Jefferson Street;;;Lexington;VA;24450;U.S.
email;internet: djanjic@rockbridge.net
title: Vice President
tel;work: 540-463-4451
tel;fax: 540-464-4652