Re: Remote RADIUS NT & SQL...

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 17:13:23 -0700

Sam Akhtar wrote:

> Here's a question, probably a SQL issue tho. We're planning to open a
> remote POP (no, really remote) and are leaning towards setting up local
> Radius (using our primary pop's as a backup). We've got Radius talking
> to SQL quite nicely and were wondering what mechanisms would be best
> used to make sure the databases between both servers match up. We want
> to avoid having the remote authenticate only remote accounts, etc. But
> we do want the remote accounts dialing into the remote location to use
> that remote Radius server to authenticate (a simple config in the Max,
> so that's moot).

The RADIUS protocol has a lower overhead than RadiusNT talking to SQL
server. I would recommend focusing your efforts on creating your
RadiusNT servers at your primary site, and then just have the NAS'es at
the remote site point to the same servers.

RadiusNT 2.2 will include Server port access, so that you will be able
to configure who can authenticate from which NASes, if you want to
restrict calling, even though all the NASes still authenticate to the
same server.