Re: How to disable MAX encryption of password

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Mon, 02 Jun 1997 18:32:27 -0700

kahsing@nlb.gov.sg wrote:

> I am setting up RadiusNT to support dial-in through and Ascend MAX 4000.
> When the user uses Windows 95 Dial-up Networking to dial in to the MAX, the
> MAX encrypts the user's password before sending to the RadiusNT for
> authentication. As a result, the authentication always fail. I had
> previously thought that it was the CHAP setting on my MAX but this case
> seems to happen even if I use PAP. Reporduced below is the x-15 listing on
> Radius NT. If my diagnostic is correct, does anybody know how to disable
> MAX's encryption of password? I tried to disable everything relevant
> I can find from the Ascend manuals.

This is not really the issue. The problem is that the secret you have
specified for the MAX in the clients file is NOT the same as the
secret you set in the MAX itself. RADIUS uses key encryption
to encrypt and decrypt the passwords. If the keys (secret) are
not the same, it simply will not work.

> By the way, does anyone know where I can download RadiusNT 2.2 from?
> All I get from the ftp site is RadNT_60.

RadiusNT 2.2 is not available yet.