Re: Cold Fusion vs. Active Server Pages...

Brad Albrecht ( (no email) )
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 07:56:15 -0700

If someone writes a web page with Cold Fusion, do they need to purchase
Cold Fusion to run it. For example, If I wanted to run someone else's
pages on my site, do I have to purchase CF to make it work, or are there
some run time drivers that I can install for free?

Brad Albrecht
Computer Innovations Online
http://www.cio.net/
Skagit Valleys' Premier Internet Service Provider

----------
> From: Kurt A. Butzin, DDS <kurt@molar.net>
> To: 'ntisp@emerald.iea.com'
> Subject: RE: Cold Fusion vs. Active Server Pages...
> Date: Tuesday, July 29, 1997 5:29 AM
>
> We use Cold Fusion here and I've been intending to learn Active Server,
but
> can find no real reason as Cold Fusion seems to do everything. It is
easy
> to use, after learning the initial syntax, fast and works with any
database
> via ODBC. I'm by no means an expert and have no difficulty using it.
>
> Kurt A. Butzin, DDS
> Molarnet Technologies, Inc. (An Internet Solutions Provider)
>
> kurt@molar.net
> http://www.molar.net
>
> kurt@butzin.com
> http://www.butzin.com
>

> On Tuesday, July 29, 1997 12:32 AM, Brad Albrecht [SMTP:brad@cio.net]
> wrote:
> > I cannot speak for Cold Fusion (but I would like to know about it), but
> > can speak about ASP. If someone else can answer the CF half, I will
tell
> > what I know about what ASP can do.
> >
> > ASP will allow you to write web pages that can do several things
> including
> > access a data object on the server side. You use a scripting language
> > (VBScript, JavaScript, and they say others) to define your page. You
can
> > add server variables and data to the page, then it builds the page to
> look
> > like a standard HTML page. Since the end product is a standard page,
any
> > browser can view it. What you do to make your pages browser specific
is
> > independent of ASP. Since ASP uses a scripting language, it takes some
> > time to learn. If you know VBScript, you are well on your way. It is
my
> > understanding that CF is much easier to get going.
> >
> > That's my opinion. (experience)
> >
> > Brad Albrecht
> > Computer Innovations Online
> > http://www.cio.net/
> > Skagit Valleys' Premier Internet Service Provider
> >
> > ----------
> > > From: Gregory W. Bondy <gbondy@MAELSTROM.NET>
> > > To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com
> > > Subject: Cold Fusion vs. Active Server Pages...
> > > Date: Monday, July 28, 1997 7:54 PM
> > >
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I have yet another in my constant stream of Cold Fusion Questions.
:)

> > > Someone recently suggested to me that Micro$oft's Active Server
Pages
> > > (ASP) component of IIS 3.0+ serves the same functionality without any
> > > additional cost. I've tried to track down information on ASP on the
> den
> > of
> > > iniquity that Microsoft calls a web page; but i've only gotten a
couple
> > of
> > > paragraphs which can be more or less summed up in the words "It's
cool,
> > use
> > > it."
> > >
> > > The question is... DOES ASP have the same functionality as Cold
> Fusion?
> > > Partially? Which should we invest money and development time in?
Are