Re: Web Databases

Mark Williamson ( mark@isat.com )
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 22:43:39 -0700

At 10:05 PM 7/24/97 -0700, you wrote:
>To make sure I understand you correctly, you would like to have a
>database displayed on your website in a final form, but without giving
>access to the database itself.
>
>If someone wants to download your database there is no way you can hold
>them back, because your site is public and they can run multiple
>queries. However what you can do is make it harder for them by having a
>custom program pull the data from the database which is located in a
>separate area. That and custom queries should eventually make it hard
>enough and lengthen the process, but it is still not a solution to
>protect your database, or only allow members into a secured area to get
>to it.

I beg to differ with you on this:

In a typical web/database environment:

1) The scripts that run the database are not "downloadable", only
executable, making only their output visible
2) The database file or system is physically inaccessible to anyone except
the administrators, the system, and the owner. The only connection is via
ODBC or other system level drivers.

Mark Williamson