Re: Unauthorized use of SMTP Server

Frank Canode ( (no email) )
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 14:12:11 -0500

I don't think that anything is settled on the legal issue, but it is in the
courts right now. There is a case in California - EarthLink Networks vs
Cyber Promotions - where a superior court judge has issued a preliminary
injunction against Cyber Promotions for doing exactly the same thing. You
can find the details in the July issue of Boardwatch on page 80.
http://www.boardwatch.com/

----------
From: Marvin Anglin <manglin@atlonline.com>
To: 'ntisp@emerald.iea.com'
Subject: Unauthorized use of SMTP Server
Date: Thursday, July 24, 1997 1:22 PM

We have had on two different occasions either USA.NET or one of their
customers using our SMTP server without our permission. They are Spamming
thousands of users and eating up our email server. We have since upgraded
our IMail to prevent this.

My question is, isn't this illegal? Has this happened to anyone else. If
so, what action have you taken?

Marvin L. Anglin
manglin@atlonline.com
Atlanta On-Line InterNet, Inc.