Re: NT services to turn off

Jason Hess ( jjhess@laf.cioe.com )
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 08:35:37 -0500

Danny Sinang wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm trying to bring down to a minimum the number of services running on my
> NT server to conserve memory. I need DNS, DHCP, POP, SMTP, HTTP and RAS
> running.
>
> Can anybody explain to me the following services and which one I can safely
> turn off ?
>
> 1. Browser
> 2. Net Logon
> 3. Messenger
> 4. NT LM Security Support Provider
> 5. Remote Procedure Call ( RPC ) Locator
> 6. Remote Procedure Call ( RPC ) Service
> 7. Spooler
> 8. TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
> 9. Telephony Service
> 10. Workstation
>
> Danny Sinang
> sinang@skyinet.net
> http://www.adgrafix.com/info/dsinang/

Actually, before people start correcting me, it is not necessary
for the Browser to be on. In fact, if your server is bogging down, it
might not be a bad idea to turn that service off. It will cut a small
amount of processing speed, and also decrease bandwith to the machine.
Sorry about that,
Jason Hess
CIOE Corporation