Re: M$ SQL Server or Cold Fusion? Need opinion

Matthew James Gering ( (no email) )
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 23:43:23 -0700

MS SQL is a DATABASE! It is a client/server relational SQL database. It
competes with Sybase, Oracle, etc.

ColdFusion is an ISAPI/CGI-based scripting engine. It competes with Active
Server Pages (ASP), PHP, etc.

ASP is free with NT Server 4.0. Yes, MS SQL is worth it's weight in gold.

Matt

----------
From: James A. Tucker <jtucker@centuryinter.net>
To: 'ntisp@emerald.iea.com'
Subject: M$ SQL Server or Cold Fusion? Need opinion
Date: Tuesday, July 15, 1997 8:41 PM

I'm looking for an Internet Database solution. In the left corner I have
M$ SQL Server weighing in at $2999.00. In the right corner I have Cold
Fusion Pro weighing in at $995. Is SQL worth 3X the weight in gold?

My key areas I'm looking at are:

Scalability
Simultaneous Connections
Administrative Costs
Programming Ease or rather difficulty.

I already know IDC/HTX so SQL leans a little in favor, but at 3X the cost I
think I could learn Cold Fusion.

I would appreciate opinions and experiences.

Please, no ear biting between team M$ and team anti-M$.

Thanks

James A. Tucker
Internet Administrator
Century Telephone - Southern Region

PS. Why do I feel like I've started a fire?