RE: MS Proxy Server

David Scott ( davidscott@mtgroup.com )
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 23:50:58 -0500

I can get down to the protocol level. MS Proxy has a web proxy (http, ftp,
and gopher) that controls a user's browser (basically). Within that portion
you can give access (down to the user level) to any of those protocols, if
that's all you're using. You can also restrict addresses based on domain,
host, or IP (but not at the user level - global only).

Now, what's really cool is the Winsock proxy portion of proxy server. If
you enable winsock proxy then you can enable/disable each IP protocol/port
down to the user level. So wherever I go sit down and log on, my access
permissions go with me because it's at the user level. Of course Proxy
server also does all kinds of nifty caching and you can access it through
IPX clients - so in theory you don't need to run IP at ALL on your internal
network, giving you added security of IPX without the headache of managing
IP.

No, I don't work for M$.

David