Re: Single IP, multiple domains

howie hamlin ( howie@hoot.com )
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 14:23:52 -0400

I think, for me anyway, that multihosting on a single IP is a way to cater
to "smaller" users. What I mean is, I have a full class C and I use IP's
for workstations, servers (mail, ftp, webservers, etc.). Now, since I only
have 254 IPs to use, I need to charge a higher rate than the "other guys"
that charge $25.00 per month for "www.yourdomain.com".

The guys that charge such a small price are usually multi-hosting on a
single IP to an Apache server (or something). Now, when someone wants a
full domain on my servers I usually create a new IP for this hosting.

Sometimes, I get people asking me "why do you charge more than the other guys?"

It's so hard to explain to the average user, but a full domain with a unique
IP address is "better" than a multi-hosted domain because not all browsers
can work with these scenarios properly. That's why, a system that is
multi-hosted on a single IP usually has a "menu" of available domains that
pops up on browsers that don't support multi-hosting on a single domain.

So, for me, I want the capability of multi-hosting on a single IP so I can
sell some of those cheaper web sites but I would recommend using ONLY unique
IPs for larger corporate web sites (If I accessed a company at
www.company.com and was presented instead with a list of available web sites
I'd think again about what kind of company they were).

At 01:26 PM 7/10/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Thanks for the tip. But I have a more basic question. Assuming one has
>sufficient IP addresses available, why would one want to use a single IP
>for multiple domains? Are there any cases where this would be *preferable*?

Howie Hamlin
email: howie@hoot.com
website: http://www.hoot.com
phone: (516)737-4668x101