Single IP, multiple domains

Lee Levitt ( Lee.Levitt@software.com )
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 13:26:33 -0400

At 01:18 PM 7/10/97 -0400, howie hamlin wrote:
>IIS 3.0 can do multi-hosting on a single IP with a small .ASP file. Also,
>IIS/4.0 and Website Pro/2.0 will also be able to do this. Both microsoft
>and O'Reilly have evals for download.
>
>Here's some code I got from somebody regarding multi-hosting on a single IP
>with IIS3.0 and ASP:

Howie,

Thanks for the tip. But I have a more basic question. Assuming one has
sufficient IP addresses available, why would one want to use a single IP
for multiple domains? Are there any cases where this would be *preferable*?

TIA,

Lee

Lee Levitt, Director, Technical Marketing
Lee.Levitt@software.com
Software.com - The Internet Infrastructure Company (tm)
Publishers of Post.Office and InterMail
91 Hartwell Avenue http://www.software.com
Lexington, MA 02173
Phone: 617-274-7000 x 229 Fax: 617-674-1080