RE: NT Routing/Bridging (was: Windows 95 Networking....)

Kurt A. Butzin, DDS ( kurt@molar.net )
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 09:10:07 -0400

Ive got the same type of setup, but I don't use the lowest and highest
blocks of the subnet. I use a 255.255.255.192 submask, x.x.x.64 and
x.x.x.128 portions of the block. I've been told that you can't use the
upper and lower blocks when subnetting these days. Hope this helps, it
works for me.

Kurt A. Butzin, DDS
Molarnet Technologies, Inc. (An Internet Solutions Provider)

kurt@molar.net
http://www.molar.net

kurt@butzin.com
http://www.butzin.com

On Tuesday, July 08, 1997 2:14 AM, Eric Fagan [SMTP:mailserve@pdqnet.net]
wrote:
> > I have several Win95 and NT boxes on an ethernet with an Ascend
Pipeline
> > router to the outside world. All boxes can reach the outside. If you
> are
> > trying to do this using NT as the router, it only works if you have 2
> > separate subnets (unlikely) as far as I know.
>
> My configuration is similar to the above - however, I'm trying to remove
> the pipeline from hearing local area traffic.... I've got two NIC's in
an
> NT 4 box - one is hubbed with the LAN, the other with the router. I'm
> trying to get the cards to route to each other when neccessary (IP
packets
> destined for out-of-LAN). So far, I can get the NT box to see both
routes
> - (to the LAN & to the router) - but I can't get the LAN to see past the
NT