Re: RFC 812

Ronnie D. Franklin ( ronnie@itexas.net )
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 00:47:12 -0500

Follow up to my previous message.. here is the announcement:

Quote:
========
A3: MICROSOFT OBTAINS GOVERNMENT LICENSE FOR EXPORT OF 128-BIT ENCRYPTION

Microsoft Corp. has announced it has obtained U.S. government approval for
the export of powerful 128-bit encryption to banks worldwide for protection

of online financial transactions.

The U.S. Department of Commerce license, issued June 10, will permit
Microsoft to enable 128-bit encryption security between banks and their
customers in products that support the secure sockets layer (SSL) or
transport layer security (TLS) protocols. The encryption technology will be

incorporated in all domestic and export versions of Microsoft(R) products
dealing with the Internet, beginning with Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0,
Microsoft Money 98 and Microsoft Internet Information Server.

The 128-bit encryption capability is implemented as an extension to the SSL

and TLS protocols. TLS is a security protocol overseen by a working group
of the Internet Engineering Task Force, an Internet standards body. The
extension enables an application to "switch on" 128-bit security when a
digital certificate is present on the bank's system. If there is no
certificate, the server and client negotiate the strongest common security
available to them.

The government's export approval for 128-bit encryption does not require
the use of key escrow - the storage of encryption keys to enable law
enforcement officials to recover users' messages. The export approval
continues the current U.S. encryption export control policy permitting
favorable treatment for the export of strong encryption products intended
for use in conducting financial transactions. It also recognizes that banks

and other financial institutions are subject to explicit legal requirements

to retain transaction data, and that they have shown a consistent ability
to provide appropriate access to transaction information in response to
authorized law enforcement requests without the requirement to escrow
encryption keys.

END QUOTE

Ronnie@itexas.net

> From: Kurt A. Butzin, DDS <kurt@molar.net>
> To: 'ntisp@emerald.iea.com'
> Subject: RE: RFC 812
> Date: Friday, June 27, 1997 12:16 AM
>
> Strange, I was just able to download the 128bit version with no problem.
No

[SMTP:randy@austintx.net]