Re: Multiple domains on a single IP

Randy Martin ( randy@austintx.net )
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:14:17 -0500

At 03:51 PM 6/12/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Netscape has supported software virtual servers since v2.0 (Fasttrack and
>Enterprise servers). However, it isn't the serer that's the problem, its
>the BROWSER. If the browser doesn't support the HTTP extensions that allow
>the SERVER to serve the correct pages, then someone coming to your customer
>at www.acme.com with, say, Netscape 1.1 or MSIE 2.0, will NOT get acme.com,
>but YOUR home page, the default for the server.
>
>Customers won't stand for that, so IP shortage be damned, we give our web
>hosting clients a static IP for a hardware virtual server.

We get around this by explaining everything upfront to our clients. We tell
them about the possible problems involved with older browsers. Then we tell
them the benefits of virtual domains (like the ability to have multiple
webservers service the site using only one IP address). We then let them
make up their own minds which way they want to go. Since there is a
shortage of IP addresses, we also try to "encourage" :) them to go with
virtual servers by charging extra for the sites with the IP address.

Regards,

Randy

Randy Martin Voice: (512) 335-2368
Partner eMail: randy@austintx.net