Re: Multiple domains on a single IP

James Corey ( )
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:09:39 -0400

I believe WebSite 2.0 will support this as well. Only the newest browsers
support this type of handshaking.

At 19:00 06/12/97 GMT, you wrote:
>On Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:35:33 -0400, you wrote:
>>I see this question alot. So here are my thoughts.
>>You can host numerous domains on one ip, but only can 'truly' host one
>>virtual web domain per ip.
>>This is from my experience from unix and nt platforms.
>Sorry I have to disagree, using a web server that is http 1.1
>compliant you can have one ip linked to several virtual domains and
>server pages for each.
>From memory the Apache Documentation details how to do this.
>(When I was playing with it, it took me less than 1/2 an hour to get
>it operational)
>Basically you point the virtual domains at the same IP.
>ifconfig and route the IP
>configure apache to handle the virutal domains.
>When a request comes in the server software actually get the domain
>name from the details provided to it and serves the correct pages.
James Corey

Want a Digest of the IMSusers mail list?
Send the text "CMD>SUBSCRIBE" as the SUBJECT to:

SPAM filter for IMS mail server. Check out
Does multi-homed aliasing, too!

New IMS list management. It's at