RE: PO 3.1 ISP Deal

Donald Livengood ( LivengoodD@mail.dec.com )
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 12:25:20 -0400

Hi,

I think what your asking for is dependent on the particular ISP. I've
seen some of the larger ISPs with a lower connect:user ratio than
smaller, business oriented ISPs.

I can also tell you that I've seen Post.Office support a relatively
high number of simultaneous POP connections and maintain a VERY high
SMTP throughput rate at the same time. Something on the order of 200
simultaneous POP connection with a 30+ messages/second SMTP
throughput. This was on a Sun platform with write-cache disks,
multiple CPUs, and sufficient memory. Worked like a champ though. I
haven't seen NT benchmarks recently. You could always give them
(software.com) a buzz and ask.

There are also some high-end ISPs out there running Post.Office with
over 100,000 users...so depending on what _you_ mean by scalability
and what your needs are Post.Office is pretty solid.

Personally, as things stand right now, I wouldn't recommend Exchange
for an ISP. I'm sure as they move MCIS stuff into Exchange it may be
more viable, but for now I'd pick, and recommend, something else for
ISPs. I'll qualify this in saying that I've not worked with small
(<20,000) ISPs though.

djl