Re: News

Fulton Preston ( preston@eaglenet.com )
Sun, 01 Jun 1997 03:37:53 -0400

I started with 10 users from Supernews and quickly went to 15. I have 1250
users on 140 ports. My previous average (when I hosted my own server) was
five connections. Once I switched to Supernews (without telling my
customers, they still don't know) word spread that our news service was
great and I ended up at 15. The response time is a little slow, about 4-5
seconds, but once it starts it is non-stop. I am connected to UUnet about
2 hops away from MAE-EAST, and Supernews is connected to MAE-WEST, a very
short hop count for me anyway. Really, I could care less about the hop
count as it is nearly invisible to my dialup customers, since a 33.6
connection cannot tell the difference and so far none of my customers can
tell. The price is right for me.

In short, I am very pleased with the service, besides the fact that they
carry over 32,000 newsgroups and carry all articles in all groups
(alt.binaries.warez.ibm-pc last night had 29,845 articles! Thats some hard
drive space!!!!)

So far I am very pleased with the service and am relieved that I do not
have to fuss with another news server again, not to mention what I have
saved in bandwidth costs, we were ready to order another T1 but that went
away the second we went with Supernews. Hmmm, $150 a month versus $3000 a
month.... hard to decide!)

Regards,

Fulton Preston.
Eaglenet, Inc.