Re: Good Mail Server for NT?

Brian Dorricott ( brian-list@net-shopper.co.uk )
Thu, 29 May 1997 14:14:33 +0100

At 21:29 28/05/97 -0000, you wrote:
>As I said, I have had no problems and I have several clients who use the
>product on large intranets instead of exchange server and it works VERY
>well.
>
>What version did you have problems with.
>
>Weren't you telling us all how good the product was not so long ago?
>
>Anti-Spam measures are now in place.
>
>The only corruption problem I could thing of would be the general problem
>that seems to occur on NTFS drives when they get very fragmented. I've seen
>it happen with several products including MS Proxy Server.
>
>At least with PO you don't have to pay for the number of domains in use
>like in NTmail (or maybe I can't understand their price list???)

There are two ways of implementing multiple domains on a mail server. I'll
illustrate with how you would set up sales@company.com and sales@another.com.

One is a "quick dirty fix" - that is you alias additional domains to the
first one. This means that you have to give all users a different
pop-account name. For example:
sales@company.com -> sales-company@company.com
sales@another.com -> sales-another@company.com
Anyone logging into the mail server will discover that it is run by
"company.com".

The second is to use a second IP address so that from outside, no-one can
tell that the two domains are running on the same machine. In this case:
sales@company.com -> sales@company.com
sales@another.com -> sales@another.com

Personally, I feel that the latter is "Mutiple domain support". Anything
less is a scam.

NTMail provides the "Quick dirty fix" (we call it a redirection rather than
multiple domain support) just like most other mail servers our of the box.

If you want real virtual domains - then you need NTDomain. As far as we are
aware, we are the only mail server product for WindowsNT that supplies real
virtual servers in this way.

Many customers use the first method to alias domain names - some with over
500 domains aliased to one. Others use the second method. It all depends
upon what you preceive as the best solution for the way you wish to work.

I hope this clears up the pricing method and what the difference between the
two versions are.

Brian