RE: Why radius

Phil Taylor ( )
Fri, 23 May 1997 14:57:45 +0100

RADIUS - Remote Authentication Dial-In User Service.

If you are talking about people logging into an NT system, it offers
nothing. Radius is a protocol designed by Livingston Enterprises to
enable remote user authentication from their Portmaster range of remote
access servers.

It has since been adopted as a standard by most remote access server
manufacturers, and in a nutshell it enables system administrators
(mainly ISP's but not necessarily) the ability to maintain a single
database for their dial-in users even if they have multiple dial-in

RadiusNT is simply a port of the original Livingston Radius server (with
an awful lot of additions/improvements by Dale et al, in fact it
probably qualifies as a re-write by now !!) onto Windows NT from it's
native Unix.

Phil Taylor