Re: Radius advantages

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Thu, 22 May 1997 18:17:32 -0700 ()

On Wed, 21 May 1997, Brian Johnson wrote:

> Thanks for the quick responses on the install problem I had. Now I still
> have one question. What is the advantage of using Radius over the
> typical username/password? I understand that Radius encrypts the
> traffic between the server and the portmaster, but how does that equate
> to increased authentication? I read the FAQ but I'm still a bit foggy.

The main adcanatge is a central user database. If you point the
information into the local user table of the NAS, you then have to put the
information to the local user table of ALL terminal servers. Thats a
lot of work with many NASes. :( The Accounting (especially with a package
like Emerald) is invaluable to a business, as well.

> Also will this work with token cards (SDI or CryptoCard)

We have been trying to work with Security Dynmaics.

Dale