Re: Win95 vs. Win3.1

John Freymann - Manager, AAI Information Network Services ( (no email) )
ed, 7 May 1997 16:34:20 -0500

BTW Shiva's home page specifically states that the "Winmodems" are not
supported with their dialer.

This is due to moving the compression and error checking to the CPU rather
than the modem, and the delays that this introduces (according to Shiva)

At 02:18 PM 5/7/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Boy, all kinds of unsatisfied customers, huh? :)
>

>At 08:43 AM 5/7/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>I have found that the Shiva dialer that comes with the IEAK won't work with
>>any brand of "windows" modem. It seems to work fine with anything but those
>>that claim to be designed for windows.
>>
>>----------
>>> From: Mitch Wagers <wizard@telcentral.net>
>>> To: RadiusNT@emerald.iea.com
>>> Subject: Re: Win95 vs. Win3.1
>>> Date: Tuesday, May 06, 1997 2:10 PM
>>>
>>> Maybe someone can help me with this one...Users using MS Internet Dialler
>>> have a problem of negotiating a protocol using PPP. I have had 2
>>instances
>>> of this out of 212, and I have found it unfixable!
>>> The problem seems to be very random per computer. On computers that it
>>> happens, they seem to stay like that. From what MS has relayed to me,
>>the
>>> problem lies with Shiva. They have said they aren't using a custom built
>>> PPP stack, but a stack from Shiva. Of course, they claim that stack
>>causes
>>> problems in very rare cases due to the use of non-Shiva equipment. The
>>> only fix I have found is to install Trumpet Winsock as the dialer, and
>>> disable the Internet Explorer winsock.dll. After all, if TP is already
>>> installed, Internet Mail tries to use it instead of the MS Dialler, how
>>> wierd. :) Anyone care to shed some light on this? I have doubts about
>>> MS's information to me (I have even opened an issue about it). Maybe
>>this
>>> isn't what you were having problems with, if not, sorry! I would
>>> appreciate a response to my personal mail if anyone has the same
>>occurances.

John Freymann j.freymann@aaiate.com
INS Department (847)821-3347
Advantest America, Inc. (847)634-2552 FAX