Re: WhatsUp monitoring of RadiusNT

Jeff Woods ( jeff@delta.com )
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:35:33 -0400

At 01:34 AM 4/11/97 -0700, you wrote:

>> How do I setup WhatsUp from IPswitch V2.13 to monitor the Radius service on
>> my NT server? I'm looking to do more than just a ping or echo. I want to
>> make sure that the Radius service itself hasn't died.
>
>Unfortunately, I know of no way to do this. WhatsUp monitors TCP
>connections. RADIUS is UDP connectionless.

The easiest way would be to have a remote machine (possibly the same one as
WHATSUP is on), run a looping batch file. This is NOT a working batch
file, but is pseudo-code based on what Dale just said:

:TOP
WAIT4 60
Q:
CD \RADIUS
RADLOGIN someuser somepass
IF ERRORLEVEL 5 goto :ALERT
GOTO :TOP
:ALERT
SENDPAGE <parameters to page> SERVER RADIUS DOWN!
COPY DROPFILE.TXT SERVER.DWN
:WAITING
WAIT4 300
IF EXIST SERVER.DWN GOTO :WAITING
GOTO :TOP

This pseudo-batch file would watch the server, and if it could NOT login as
a known user, it would send a page, put down a drop file, and wait for that
drop file to disappear to start sending again (presumably, you'd delete the
drop file when you brought the server back up). You can get much more
complex, mimicking What's Up (Email first, one drop file, Page if still not
fixed, second drop file, etc, multiple contacts, pagers or Email). YMMV.
I'll be working on this one as time permits.