Re: Authenticating

Ted Olson ( tolson@ocsnet.net )
Fri, 04 Apr 1997 18:58:38 -0800

Attn: Jeff Woods

At 09:58 AM 4/4/97 -0500, you wrote:
>At 06:49 AM 4/4/97 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>Hmmm, maybe my question yesterday was too verbose, or too dumb (no replies)
>>-- so I'll thin it down to its essence and try again: with RadNT 1.16.60
>>already running as a service, is it then necessary to *also* type radius at
>>a command prompt (i.e. c:\radius> radius -x15 -A) and keep it open??? Does
>>that actually replace the service that had been running, making the original
>>net start irrelevant?
>
>Nope -- it won't run that way at all, AFAIK. If you've started it as a
>service, then the service OWNS the port, and running it in the DOS box
>won't work because the port is not available. I tend to run it NOT as a
>service, so I can see the authentication messages in the window. This lets
>me know at a quick glance that it is working.

Good idea. Our indication is that the service is running (by looking in
control panel, or typing net start, or 'net stop radius' (service stopped),
then 'net start radius' (service started) ... but at that point we can
*still* run it from a command prompt! Another reply suggested removing and
then installing the RadiusNT service, sounds like another good idea.

>>Since updating, this seems to be the only way we can get authenticating to
>>work. We didn't used to need to do this, radius just ran neatly as a
>>background startup service, but now it's taking extra manual steps.
>
>Check your Application log -- is the service actually starting? Probably not.

I'll watch that the next time we test.

Thanks Jeff,
-Ted

Ted Olson President, System Manager OCSNet
OCS Software, Inc. tolson@ocssoft.com http://www.ocssoft.com
Olson Computer Services tolson@ocsnet.net http://www.ocsnet.net
Phone 209.781.4123 Fax 209.781.3718 Porterville, CA USA