Re: NT News Server

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 19:13:36 -0800

Greg Boehnlein wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, NavNet Communications wrote:
>
> > Could anybody advise on a News Server for NT 4.0.
>
> As a side note, I'd like to take this opportunity to remind people that.
>
> 1. Sendmail is FREE (No need to spend $$$$$$ on Post Office or NTmail)
> 2. inn-1.5 is FREE (No need to spend $$$$$ on MS-News or NS-News)
> 3. Linux is FREE and it runs on about 1/5 of the hardware NT does.

I'd prefer NTMail for the Mail. News you can do what you want. NTMail
with direct integration is pretty nice and powerful.

> I know 90% of you on the list are NT people, but we have been running
> Linux News, Web and Mail servers for the past 2 years with much success.
> Why not take those thousands of dollars in licensing fees and use
> something that is stable, proven and reliable?

This isn't an arguement. We have NT servers that run for months. Thats
proven to me. :) Some people also like commercial software, rather than
user supported software.

> We're intergrating Emerald with Linux at an alarming rate here, and thanks
> to Dale and I cracking heads on a couple of phone calls, have the export /
> automatic account creation / synchornization setup and working. It's
> really rather slick.

And for my bandages, I'd like to see that one of these days. :)