Re: FTP Questions

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Fri, 09 May 1997 12:58:13 -0700

Mark A. Knight wrote:

> How do you allow customers to maintain their own web sites?
>
> Do they have to be setup as a user in the NT Domain and be granted the
> correct rights to their directory? I hope this is not the case.
>
> For those that also subscribe to the Emerald list, how does the FTP
> directory created come into play? As far as I can tell they only have
> anonymous access rights?
>
> Can/should you setup client WWW and FTP site in the same directory. Is
> that easier to maintain and less of a security issue?

I will address how Emerald does it. First off, (with Emerald) you
should
acquire Serv-U and set it up. Its pretty easy and the price is a
no-brainer.

Now, lets assume you have a server called marconi. On the D: drive of
marconi,
you create a directory called users, and share the directory as "users",
so that
you have a UNC, \\marconi\users to that root.

Now, lets say you add a customer named johnd. The user's home directory
would
then be "\\marconi\users\johnd". When you save the user, Emerlad will
automatically
check and create the directory for you.

The user can then ftp to the Serv-U and when they login, they will be
placed
into their directory ("\\marconi\users\johnd" for our example"). They
can then
put their webfiles in that directory. You should tell them what you
default
filename is, though.

Now, on the web side, what I like to do is setup a virtual domain to the
order
of users.my.com, and point the root of it to \\marconi\users or d:\users
if the
webserver is on marconi. You can put a disclaimer in the
\\marconi\users directory
as well as a list of websites, etc. To get to their pages via web, you
can
use "http://users.my.com/johnd" or whatever the user's name is.

If you want to do virtual accounts, you can create another branch like
\\marconi\virtual, following the same instructions as above. The only
difference is the virtuals wouldn't show up under http://users.my.com,
since you would be creating a virtual domain for them. For simplicity,
if you don't care, you can just point the virtual domain to
\\marconi\users\username and it can be accessed by both URLs.