RE: NT V4.0 DUN without logon

Petar Nikolich ( petar@escape.net.au )
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 23:51:06 -0000

No need to spend $500 bucks on proxy server.

Simply use the AUTOLOGIN paramters available in the registry to
force the system to logon as a specified user each time it resets.

Various programs are avilable on the NT sites that allow you to do
this. Then add your shortcut to your dial-up-network entry to the
startup group. This will make the system dial when it completes
the logon.

The thing to worry about is the nasty habit NT has of occasionally
dropping a PPP link without actually losing the modem connection.

When this occurs you need to hangup the connection and dialout
again. I have not found any software that will do this automatically.

You may wish to use some scripting tool to automatically reboot
your server each night while you are away to make sure you minimise
downtime. If you have somebody who can monitor your server they
could simply hangup and dialout if they see the TX lights flashing
on the dialup networking monitor but no corresponding RX lights
flashing. You may also experiment to see if PING returns errorlevel
codes and write a batch file that pings your isp every 5 minutes and
if no response is found then hangs up and redials using the RAS
command level programs.

Petar