Re: Assigning IP Addresses beyond 5 limit

Jeff Weiss ( jeff@tsns.com )
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:15:19 -0500

At 01:56 PM 3/26/97 -0700, SysAdmin wrote:
>To All,
>
>It is my understanding that although there is a
>limit to the number (5) of IP addresses which
>can be assigned to a single NIC on an Internet
>Server, there is an endrun to this limitation
>by the manual addition of addresses in order
>to accomodate additional Virtual domains on
>a server.

>A blow by blow description of how this is accomplished
>on NT 3.51 would be very helpful and very much appreciated.

http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q149/4/26.htm

Works pretty much the same way on 4.0 as well. Editing the registry is a
lot easier than dealing with the goofy graphical interface when you have a
lot of IPs to add (we have over 80).

>Also, is there any known downside to using this method instead
>of installing another NIC.

Sure. You only have the bandwidth of one NIC. ;)