Re: Assigning IP Addresses beyond 5 limit

Randy Martin ( randy@austintx.net )
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 15:53:02 -0600

At 01:56 PM 3/26/97 -0700, you wrote:
>To All,
>
>It is my understanding that although there is a
>limit to the number (5) of IP addresses which
>can be assigned to a single NIC on an Internet
>Server, there is an endrun to this limitation
>by the manual addition of addresses in order
>to accomodate additional Virtual domains on
>a server.
>
>A blow by blow description of how this is accomplished
>on NT 3.51 would be very helpful and very much appreciated.
>
>Also, is there any known downside to using this method instead
>of installing another NIC.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>JMFOSTER

> System Administrator
> BITTERROOT INTERNET
> http://www.bitterroot.net
> OnLine Systems Development, inc.
> 127 West Main #104
> Hamilton, Montana 59840
> (voice)406-363-0216 (fax)406-363-7558
> (email)sysadmin@bitterroot.net
><----------------------------------<<<<<<<<

Here it is:

hkey_local_machine\SYSTEM\Currentcontrolset\Services\"name of your network
card"\parameters\tcpip

"name of your network card" will be something like ELNK313. You'll probably
recognize it.

Under here there is an ipaddress value and a subnetmask value.

Edit these using regedit32 (remember only the 32 bit version)
make sure to add a subnetmask corresponding to each ip address

Also make sure to reboot after making the changes.

There have been reports (BINDNT mail list) of running several hundred IP
addresses bound to the same card without a problem. The only thing to watch
out for is if you are binding protocols like netbeui or wins to the card
that has the multiple IPs. I would suggest only binding TCP/IP to this card.

Good luck,
Randy

Randy Martin Voice: (512) 335-2368
Partner URL: http://www.austintx.net