Re: Assigning IP Addresses beyond 5 limit

Mike Mazurek ( mike_mazurek@i-netaccess.com )
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 16:21:22 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_01BC3A01.BE489F60

Try looking at the following Microsoft Knowledebase article...

http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q149/4/26.htm

----------
> From: David Scott <DavidScott@mtgroup.com>
> To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com
> Subject: Re: Assigning IP Addresses beyond 5 limit
> Date: Wednesday, March 26, 1997 5:12 PM
>
> The limit on IP addresses on a card is a limit of the registry, not the
> server. You can only enter 5 IP's per nic through network setup, but you
> can hack the registry and enter as many addresses as you want...UNTIL you
> reach the string limit of a registry key. Enter away to your heart's
> content. I think the string limit is 255 char or something like that.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> David Scott
> DavidScott@mtgroup.com
> http://www.mtgroup.com
> http://www.access-developer.com
>
> ----------
> > From: SysAdmin <sysadmin@bitterroot.net>
> > To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com
> > Subject: Assigning IP Addresses beyond 5 limit
> > Date: Wednesday, March 26, 1997 2:56 PM
> >
> > To All,
> >
> > It is my understanding that although there is a
> > limit to the number (5) of IP addresses which
> > can be assigned to a single NIC on an Internet
> > Server, there is an endrun to this limitation
> > by the manual addition of addresses in order
> > to accomodate additional Virtual domains on
> > a server.
> >
> > A blow by blow description of how this is accomplished
> > on NT 3.51 would be very helpful and very much appreciated.
> >
> > Also, is there any known downside to using this method instead
> > of installing another NIC.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > JMFOSTER

> > System Administrator
> > BITTERROOT INTERNET
> > http://www.bitterroot.net
> > OnLine Systems Development, inc.
> > 127 West Main #104
> > Hamilton, Montana 59840
> > (voice)406-363-0216 (fax)406-363-7558
> > (email)sysadmin@bitterroot.net
> > <----------------------------------<<<<<<<<

------=_NextPart_000_01BC3A01.BE489F60

=0D=0D=0D Adding More than Five IP Addresses to NIC in Windows NT ==0D=0D=0D=0D=0D=0D=0D=0D=0D=0D=0D=0D=0D=0D=0D=0D=0D=0D=0D =0D =0D=0D =0D=0D =0D =0D =0D =0D =0D
=0D =0D =0D 3D"Products"3D"Support"3D"Write=0D =0D =0D =0D =0D =0D =0D =0D
=0D
=0D=0D=0D=0D=0D =0D =0D=0D =0D =0D
=0D =0D 3D"Return=0D =0D =0D
=0D =0D 3D"Microsoft=0D =0D
=0D
=0D=0D=0D=0D =0D =0D=0D =0D =0D
=0D 3D""
=0D =0D 3D"Site
=0D
=0D =0D 3D"Guided
=0D
=0D =0D 3D"Search
=0D
=0D =0D 3D"Troubleshooting
=0D
=0D =0D 3D"Read
=0D
=0D =0D 3D"Download
=0D
=0D =0D 3D"Browse
=0D
=0D =0D 3D"Support
=0D
=0D =0D 3D"Submit
=0D
=0D =0D 3D"Go
=0D
=0D 3D""
=0D =0D=0D
=0D
=0D =0D =0D Best experienced with
=0D 3D"Microsoft=0D
Click here to start.=0D=0D

=0D
=0D=0D
=0D =0D
=0D =0D
=0D=0D=0D=0D=0D =0D =0D =0D
=0D=0D=0D

=0D

Adding More than Five IP Addresses to NIC in Windows NT

=0DArticle ID: Q149426
=0DCreation Date: 02-APR-1996
=0DRevision Date: 06-SEP-1996=0D
=0D

=0D=0D=0D=0D =0DThe information in this article applies to:=0D=0D

    =0D
  • Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 3.51=0D
  • Microsoft Windows NT Server version 3.51=0D
=0D =0D

=0D

SUMMARY
=0D =0D

=0DOrdinarily, you can set up to five IP addresses per network card =installed,=0Dunder the settings for TCP/IP (in Control Panel, double-click the =Network=0Dicon, then click the Protocols tab; on the Protocols tab, select ==0DTCP/IP=0DProtocols, then click the Properties button; on the IP Address tab, =click=0DAdvanced...). However, it is possible to add more than five IP addresses =to=0Da network card by modifying the registry.=0D

=0D

MORE INFORMATION
=0D =0D

=0DUse the Registry Editor (REGEDT32.EXE) to add your IP addresses and =subnet=0Dmasks, as follows:=0D

=0DWARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious,=0Dsystem-wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT to=0Dcorrect them. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting=0Dfrom the use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use this tool at your=0Down risk.=0D=0D

    =0D

  1. Start REGEDT32.EXE and locate the following Registry subkey:=0D

    =0D=0D

          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet=0D      \Services\<Adapter Name>\Parameters\Tcpip=0D=0D
    =0D=0D=0D

  2. Find the IPAddress value and double-click it.=0D=0D

  3. The Multi-String Editor dialog box should appear with the IP =address=0D selected. Type each additional IP address on a new line within the=0D dialog box, then click OK. For example:=0D

    =0D=0D

          100.100.100.1=0D      100.100.100.2=0D      100.100.100.3=0D=0D
    =0D=0D=0D

  4. Find the SubnetMask value and double-click on it.=0D=0D

  5. The Multi-String Editor dialog box should appear with the Subnet =Mask=0D selected. Enter each additional subnet mask on a new line=0D within the dialog box, then click OK. For example:=0D

    =0D=0D

          255.255.255.0=0D      255.255.255.0=0D      255.255.255.0=0D=0D  IMPORTANT: The order of the IP addresses and subnet masks must=0D  correspond.=0D=0D
    =0D=0D=0D

  6. Exit REGEDT32.=0D=0D

  7. Exit Windows NT and restart your computer.=0D

    =0D

=0DYou should have all of the IP addresses specified in the registry ==0Dbound=0Dto your network cards.=0D

=0D=0D=0D=0D

=0D=0D=0D=0D

=0D=0D
=0D=0D=0DKBCategory: kbhowto
=0DKBSubcategory: nttcp NTSrvWkst
=0DAdditional reference words: 3.51 prodnt virtual gibraltar multi homed =ISP
=0DIIS multiple server domain
=0D=0D
=0D
=0D=0D
=0DTHE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THE MICROSOFT KNOWLEDGE BASE IS=0DPROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. MICROSOFT DISCLAIMS=0DALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES=0DOF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO=0DEVENT SHALL MICROSOFT CORPORATION OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR=0DANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,=0DCONSEQUENTIAL, LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF=0DMICROSOFT CORPORATION OR ITS SUPPLIERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE=0DPOSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION=0DOR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES=0DSO THE FOREGOING LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY.=0D
=0D

=0D =0D ©1997 Microsoft =Corporation. All rights reserved. .
=0D

=0D=0D=0D
=0D=0D=0D

------=_NextPart_000_01BC3A01.BE489F60--