Re: post.office

Jeff Woods ( jeff@delta.com )
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 12:16:31 -0500

At 06:57 PM 3/23/97 -0600, you wrote:

>I've been following this post.office spammer thread with some interest.
>Here's an idea:
>
>Set up a machine as a mail forwarder (only), and point MX to it. Use
>only a hosts file for name resolution (disable DNS) so that the only
>machine the forwarder can look up by name is the "real" mail server.

Duh...... Why couldn't I just add an option in the core router's filter
table to block port 25 access and leave it on a single machine? Since POP3
access is on a different port, it could be done without the mess, no?

Or am I missing something?

If it really is this simple, I may owe Lee an apology AFA the security bug
issue goes. (I still disagree on the pricing issue, and think that the
performance has suffered compared to other products, though, and will still
be switching).