RE: 3.0 is coming

Jeff Woods ( )
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 19:21:50 -0500

At 09:56 PM 3/20/97 -0500, you wrote:

>With regard to the Spam filter...I understand the pain you all are feeling.
>For fun I run a couple of mailing lists and am pretty active in the
>internet community...spam is something we all have to deal with on a daily
>basis. I wish I could fix that one Right Now. But we have to fix it so it
>stays fixed...and I assure you that our best dev guys are working on it.

Lee, this is BULLSHIT. The obvious fix is to pull 2.0's original source out
of revision control, and put a SIMPLE option in there to limit the use of
the SMTP smart host to within a list of networks. If the mailer program
sending something to the SMTP smart host doesn't reside in a network in the

I am a programmer by first trade, and could code this into your source code
MYSELF in two hours, having never seen the code. The fact that you refuse
to do this, and make a FAST fix as Microsoft and Netscape have done, is the
PRIMARY reason I am leaving The pricing issue is incidental.

You have a serious security flaw. You have refused to fix it in a timely

Case closed. Goodbye Hello, "campaign to keep people from
making the same mistake I did". You made your bed. Now lie in it.