RE: 3.0 is coming

Ian Pizey ( )
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 21:52:00 -0600

Re this Post Office thing...

We have been just ready to go out and purchase Post Office for our Mail

But in light of the recent Price increases and possible future increases,
it would be prudent to pursue other products. If more users would voice
their concerns in the same way then might listen.

Post Office is a good product, despite the few issues. However, when a
company takes a position that their product is the best so they must raise
their prices, I get upset. I do not expect to give away
product. But based on this thread they are using the high support costs as
a justification for price increase. I would think it would be best for
them to charge for the support. Perhaps on a per incident basis. This way
the users of the support will pay for it. In the software industry this
is an accepted practice.

Oh well just my two cents worth.. Off to look for another mail server....

At 03:08 PM 3/29/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Well, if anyone thinks we're making a lot of money I'll be glad to show
>them my accounting books and the loss I've sustained for the past year. Not
>because of lack of customers but because of HIGH overhead and the limited
>number of people you can sell on one dial-up line, 1:10 if your lucky.
>Also, our prices have now dropped to as low as 14.97/month, because we have
>6 ISP's in a county of 100,000. Two years ago you could get $35.00/month
>and setup fees. Try that now.
>I use Post.Office and they must think we are complete idiots if they think
>I will pay that amount of money for a damn mail server, jeeeez. I don't
>care how good there stuff Is. Can you say Microsoft, which they want $6K
>for there normandy system :-(.
>Can you say "TAKE THIS JOB AND SHOVE IT" :-).
>At 09:20 AM 3/22/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>At 06:08 PM 3/21/97 -0600, Randy Martin wrote:
>>>If you guys are honest, you will admit that it costs you no more to sell me
>>>a 50-user license product than it does an unlimited-user product as long as
>>>I don't use you for support! It's the support for the 20,000-user guy that
>>>costs you all the money. So, you should just charge for the support. I
>>>don't need any support, I don't want any support, I can manage just fine on
>>>my own. Why should I be penalized because someone who wants to maintain a
>>>20,000-mailbox system need constant handholding? You guys are going to
>>>alienate A LOT of users with this current pricing scheme.
>>I doubt that someone maintaining a 20K user system needs any more
>>handholding than someone supporting 2K users. That's just the party line.
>>Let's face it, ISPs are perceived as "making a lot of money". So, why
>>shouldn't the people who help make the ISPs possible (software/hardware
>>vendors) try get a slice of that pie? That's the real reason they're
>>trying to get $2/user. I think the buzzword is "value added pricing".
>> Jeff Weiss EASI
>> 61 Holmes Avenue
>> +1 203-759-0574 Waterbury, CT 06710
>> +1 203-759-0553 fax USA
>> ----------------------------------------------------------
>> NTISP Mailing List
>Wayne Jordan
>PC Land, Inc.
> "Making Computers Work for You"
>(205) 546-8949 Office (205) 546-8940 Fax
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> NTISP Mailing List