RE: NEWS server

Michael J. Gibbs ( (no email) )
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 12:00:50 -0800

Too many times. That is why we are seriously looking at either going back to INNd or outsourcing it.

----------
From: Dale E. Reed Jr.[SMTP:daler@iea.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 1997 11:44 AM
To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com
Subject: Re: NEWS server

Tato (T.S.T.) wrote:

> I need install a news server.
> Wich is it the better news server for Windows NT? (MS Internet News
> Server, DNEWS, NewsRoom, NNS-NetManage or other)
>
> Does somebody have tried MS Internet News Server? Is it good?

We are testing a full feed to INS, and its really starting to
annoy me. Eveytime that machine has either crashed or rebooted,
I must run a re-build of the hash tables before the news server will
start. The real complaint, is that with a two gig (its expiring at
48 hours) spool, it takes 8 hours to rebuild the hash. Now THATS
annoying! We have DNEWs running for almost a year, and although its
sometimes slow, it atleasy doesn't die and/or can recover instantly.
The MS purchase requirements for INS makes it unattractive to.

I;d be interested if anyone else sees the rebuild issues on a
dirty shutdown.