Re: Win 95 Emerald Client

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Tue, 20 May 1997 23:18:00 -0700 ()

On Wed, 21 May 1997 robinm@spideyweb.net (Robin McCutcheon) wrote:

> Ok. This seems really silly, but it's got me minimally stumped. I've
> installed Emerald 2.1.8 Client on one of my machines at home (Win95). SQL
> 6.5 Client is installed and configured (I think ?) properly. I've changed
> it from named pipes to TCP/IP. ODBC has it's dsn entry to emerald on the
> remote server (Win NT 3.51 sp5).

Why did you configure it for TCP/IP? This could be causing the
problem. Do you have TCP/IP enabled for SQL Server? By default
is is NOT ENABLED on SQL Server (irrelevant on NT's TCP/IP settings).

If you can make a share connection to the SQL Server NT machine, then
Named Pipes should work fine for you. You may need to go into the
SQL Client Utilities and create an entry for your SQL Server, also.

> Now, when I bring up the Emerald login it doesn't find my password. Tells
> me that it's incorrect. It's *not*. We have a staff password that everyone
> uses (only three of us) and it has not changed.

This is just because it can't find the SQL Server.

> (BTW Dale -- If you don't turn CleanSweep 3.0 OFF when doing the install --
> three files create Access Violations (mfc42.dll; msvcirt.dll;msvcrt.dll).
> Not a big deal, but something for a FAQ.)

Yeah, there are a LOT of applications that this can conflict with.

> Can anyone give me a clue why I cannot login remotely ? I am logging into
> the network fine. Any help is most appreciated.

Use named pipes would be my first step.

Dale