Re: Emerald support of USR Netserver

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Thu, 15 May 1997 13:48:47 -0700

Michael Miller wrote:

> Kurt Schafer wrote:
> >
> > Speaking from experience running Ascend's version of the RADIUS daemon on a
> > FreeBSD box, the Bad Authenticator message is caused by the Netserver not
> > sending the secret along with the accounting packets.
> >
> > Perhaps if you weren't seeing any effect from selecting the check box, it
> > was because you needed to shutdown/restart radius ?
> >
> > I'd be anxious to hear your successes/failures regarding this, I'll be
> > looking to add 3 Netserver16's to our Emerald system over the next month.
> >
> I allready tried recycling Radius by shutting down and restarting it..
> unfortunatelly there was no effect. I have gotten the same results
> with 2 different USR Netservers.

We have made some really good progress with RadiusNT 2.2 to solve these
problems.
It no, no matter what the selection of the ReqAcctAuth check box, sends
the authenticator on accounting. You can tell it to not require them
(the
default) and it will not complain. This will allow all NASes to work
together (and satisfy Ascend, while allow USRs to work). If you want
strict accounting, enabling the option will be more secure, but cause
the bad authenticator on some NASes.