Re: question about batching accounts

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 09 Apr 1997 22:39:10 -0700

Josh Hillman wrote:

> This has happened numerous times, but I've never been able to figure out
> why it does this.
> When I run External Systems / Batch Accounts, it'll process 1 user (that
> was created earlier today), and then afterwards, Emerald says that 10
> accounts were updated. Where'd the other 9 come from? This number seems
> to change everytime I run the batch process. Sometimes (3) email addresses
> will be made successfully, but Emerald says that (7) accounts were updated.
> It's never the same number.
>
> There appears to be no problems with anyone's accounts or their mailboxes
> (Post.Office 2.0), but I was just curious as to why the last number
> displayed is always something higher than the actual mailboxes created.
>
> When the MBR's service is created, I always manually enter in the user's
> email address into the Email field. I know that the mailbox by default
> will be created using the login@domain.name, but I use sa.email for other
> purposes as well as creation of the mailbox, so that's why I always enter
> it in there.

The batch actually does two things. The first is creating new
accounts. For
Post.office, Netscape MTA, etc, only the first step is relevant. For
syncronizing
acocunds (standard export) there is also a second step that UPDATES
accounts.
This is for expiration, etc. Thats the second number you are seeing.
For Post.Office
it just marks all accounts current that were not current and presents
the
number.