Re: Emerald/SQL network connections

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 15:03:48 -0800

Josh Hillman wrote:

> I seem to remember talk about SQL connections over TCP/IP Sockets as
> instead of "Named Pipes" for use when people want to use Emerald over any
> PPP connection to access their Emerald/SQL db info, etc. Right now, I use
> Emerald from home on my personal computer and can also use Emerald from a
> notebook that I use when traveling. On both machines, I have to dialup
> through our service and log onto the network to use it. If I change the
> "Named Pipes" to "TCP/IP Sockets", will this do the trick? Will I be
> losing anything (in relation to Emerald/SQL db access) by using TCP/IP
> sockets? Would using TCP/IP sockets degrade any security while being
> connected? If TCP/IP sockets is safe to use, is there only one place that
> it needs to be modified?:
> SQL Server Client Configuratin Utility
> (on the SQL server)

You have to enable TCP/IP support for SQL Server, even though you have
TCP/IP on the NT machine. It is NOT as default. The named pipes adds
an extra security level (must auth to the machine, before SQL Server),
whereas TCP/IP allows you to hit the SQL Server directly w/out an
account on the NT machine running SQL Server. For that reason,
intgrated login only works with named pipes.