Re: AW: Post.Office and spamming

David Edwards ( Gecker@Oakweb.com )
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 08:59:55 -0800

At 01:52 PM 2/18/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Just to inform you,
>this is from an answer I got from software.com on this problem:

Yep, that's pretty much the answer I got.

>>Peter,
>>
>>Yes, you are correct.
>>
>>Do to the openess of the internet (SMTP) protocols, that we to which we all
>>adhere, making e-mail communications almost effortless, this has become a
>>security concern that is plaguing most of the internet industry. We are
>>currently developing steps to protect you from and prevent these activities
>>from occuring.
>>
>>Hope this helps...
>>Support@Software.com
>>

>Hoping they finish it in time, before the spammers hit us :(

Well it was pretty obvious on my server when my log file doubled in size
from about 4.5 Megs to 9 Megs. You can just occasionally look at the logs
and check what the STMP module is accepting. I didn't want to scare
anybody, but make people aware of what kind of abuse can happen with Post
Office.