Re: Post.Office and spamming

Jeff Woods ( jeff@delta.com )
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 10:33:28 -0500

At 04:18 PM 2/17/97 -0800, you wrote:

>Boy I was pissed when I found out. I had been handling an extra 5000-10000
>messages a day for these spammers.
>
>But here is where I really got upset. I contacted Software.com asking what
>I could do to stop this kind of activity. They informed me that
>Post.Office can NOT filter this stuff out and I'm stuck with these spammers
>for the time being.

Why not set up a filter in your router to block them out? (In the
meantime, you'd temporarily block out all Email from Earthlink.net, but
then you can contact Earthlink, tell them, and ask them to deal with their
spammers).

>So I'm looking at switching to sendmail or something
>else that can filter out SMTP accepts for message delivery to non local
>domains. So if you are using Post.Office, you should be aware of this
>vulnerability to spamming.

I've been aware of it for some time. A router filter is about the only
defense. I've asked software.com for a fix several times.... we're working
on it, is the answer. (It would be a VERY easy fix).

>I suggest you write Software.com and encourage
>then to come up with a fix before your site gets targeted by spammers.

.....again. (If you think you haven't been hit, go look at your post.offic
lof files -- the days you WERE hit, the log file size sticks out like a
sore thumb).

-
Emerald Mailing list (emerald@iea.com)