Re: [Emerald] Users staying online

Josh Hillman (admin-maillist@talstar.com)
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:18:06 -0400

From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
Subject: Re: [Emerald] Users staying online
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:18:06 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vilmos Branyik" <vbranyik@piopc.com>
> Thanks for the detailed reply, but could you answer a few more questions?
>
> All my units are MAX 40xx so is the below script correct?
>
> UPDATE ServerPorts
> SET SNMPUser = '.1.3.6.1.4.1.529.12.3.1.4.5.'

Use this script:

UPDATE ServerPorts
SET SNMPUser = '.1.3.6.1.4.1.529.12.3.1.4.' + convert(varchar(5), Port+1)

> I can enter this using MS Query (I'm running SQL 6.5)

You can do it that way or use ISQL/w.

> On the Max it looks like SNMP is already setup. Here is what is already in
> SNMP Options under 90-900 Mod Config:
>
> Read Comm=public
> R/W Comm Enable=Yes
> R/W Comm=write
> Security=no
> RD Mgr1=0.0.0.0
> RD Mgr2=0.0.0.0
> RD Mgr3=0.0.0.0
> RD Mgr4=0.0.0.0
> RD Mgr5=0.0.0.0
> WR Mgr1=0.0.0.0
> WR Mgr2=0.0.0.0
> WR Mgr3=0.0.0.0
> WR Mgr4=0.0.0.0
> WR Mgr5=0.0.0.0
> Queue Depth=0

IMMEDIATELY change the "Read Comm" AND the "R/W Comm" to something else
(think of them as passwords). The last thing you want is to have anyone out
there to have your SNMP read/write community name. Remember that messages
to this list are available on the web shortly after their posted, so if you
don't change those community names now, you put your maxes at a serious
security risk.

> I pretty sure I should enable security, it doesn't look like I have any
now.
> So if there is a hole I don't want to leave it open.

You can leave the "Security" option set to "No". SNMP concurrency control
will work with it set to no.

> If I enable security should I change the Read Com value to something else?

See above.

> Or would it be OK to leave it as public. Also do I need to include the IP
> address of the server that is running Radius in the RD Mgr1 and WR Mgr1
> values?

Leave the RD and WR Mgr settings as 0.0.0.0. Actually, of all of the things
you displayed, you only need to change the two community names.

> Do I need to set up a SNMP Trap?

No.

> Lastly, I didn't quite understand the RadCheckOnlineSNMP procedure. Is it
> already built into the system or is that something I have to add? If I
have
> to add it, where do I do that?

That, I don't remember. You can take a look in SQL Enterprise Manager,
though in 6.5, I don't remember where. Here's my stored procedure (from
Emerald 2.5):

CREATE PROCEDURE RadCheckOnlineSNMP @Username varchar(64) AS
SELECT s.IPAddress,
       s.ServerType,
       s.Community,
       sp.SNMPUser,
       sp.AcctSessionID
FROM Servers s, ServerPorts sp
WHERE s.ServerID = sp.ServerID
AND Username=@Username
AND AcctStatusType=1

UNION

SELECT NASIdentifier, 0, NULL, NULL, NULL
FROM RadRoamPorts
WHERE Username=@Username

> Thanks for your help and sorry about the delay in reposting. I got called
> out for a week.

You're welcome. Get those community names changed!

Oh, once you change the community names, run this:

UPDATE Servers SET Community = 'abcxyz'

(changing abcxyz to whatever your new community name is)

Josh

Software's

.