RE: [Emerald] I-Mail from Local to External

Jim Sheldon (jsheldon@texascom.com)
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 15:41:11 -0600

From: "Jim Sheldon" <jsheldon@texascom.com>
Subject: RE: [Emerald] I-Mail from Local to External
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 15:41:11 -0600

I had to do this with approximately 100 users. In theory its pretty
simple. Make sure all the users are setup appropriately in Emerald and
that Imail will authenticate properly through the Emerald database. I
added a test domain in both emerald and in Imail to make sure Imail
would authenticate through Emerald. I then switched from local Imail
database to External database. You should not have to make any changes
to the user directories. There are some things to be aware of. If you
have an MBR with multiple mail services, the first and last name of each
mail user will default to the first and last name entered in the MBR.
Imail web messaging pulls the first and last name from the service. When
an email is sent from web messaging it will have the proper email
address but will have the default first and last name. The first and
last name needs to be changed in each service to the user of that
particular email address. Another thing to be aware of is the password.
I have had users tell me that they were able to log into Imail web
messaging and change their password. Users with both dialup and email on
the same service would have to change to the new password the next time
they dialed in. I have not been able to verify this reliably. Sometimes
the web messaging changes the password stored in Emerald and sometimes
it does not.