[RadiusNT] Radius Servers in Layer-4 Load balancer configuration fail to log call data

Andrew Fort (afort@staff.webcentral.com.au)
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 14:02:59 +1000

From: Andrew Fort <afort@staff.webcentral.com.au>
Subject: [RadiusNT] Radius Servers in Layer-4 Load balancer configuration fail to log call data
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 14:02:59 +1000

Over the last few weeks we have been setting up two RadiusNT boxes in a
load-balanced environment, the virtual Radius IP being provided by a Foundry
ServerIron XL layer-4 switch.

Although authentication works okay, Calls are not logged back to the Calls
table in our MSSQL database. However, other tables (such as the RadLogs
table) do receive updates.

Removing the servers from the L4 environment corrects the problem.

There's three IP addresses involved:

Radius001
Radius002
RadiusVIP

RadiusVIP is the virtual IP address that external requests are sent to; the
switch answers for this address, and then passes requests onto the Radius001
and Radius002 servers.

The Radius00* servers are configured with a Loopback interface -- this
loopback interface is given the IP address of "RadiusVIP", so that when they
answer requests, they answer with the VIP, not their real IP addresses.
This allows the authentication to work.

However, the Calls table does not get updated.

Any ideas? I have a wealth of logfiles before and after (broken/fixed), but
I'm not sure what to post. has anyone run into this problem before?

--
afort
.