[NTISP] Email servers

David Payer (david.payer@IA-OMNI.COM)
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 08:19:05 -0600

From: "David Payer" <david.payer@IA-OMNI.COM>
Subject: [NTISP] Email servers
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 08:19:05 -0600

> | I'm getting sick and tired of price increases at Vircom

No one likes them, for sure.

Here is a reality: the market for high end server software for ISPs is not
growing. ISPs are merging/selling out and the functions they did are often
centralized on one set of bigger servers where before there were many
smaller servers.

Where does a company like Vircom make its money to continue developing a
product? I know they have 5-10 people working there, that would require
>$20k/mo in revenue just for salaries.

None of us like the increases, we have to simply make our choices as to what
we want for our service. If we need the latest bells and whistles, we will
have to pay for them If we are satisfied with less, we can keep our current
versions or move to cheaper alternatives. Sendmail is very cheap ($0). It is
also not very flexible. Add Webmin, it becomes more flexible but not pretty.
Well, you get the picture.

If you think there is a market for midrange - low end server software, let
us hear your suggestions.

David Payer
www.iowalink.com

.