[NTISP] replacing the exhaust fans in an old Max 4004

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 18:09:34 -0400

FYI:

Here's what I ended up doing...

Shut off the Max, unplug it, etc.
Doing this with the Max running is a real bad idea considering
the modem card assembly detaches from the motherboard when
taking the Max apart.
Remove the 6 small screws from the sides of the Max case.
Remove the 2 long screws from the sides of the plastic front panel.
Pull the front panel straight out (held in place by 3 tension clips).
Turn the Max upside-down and pull the bottom off of the top
(the shiny part from the black casing), straight up.

Sure enough, both exhaust fans were dead. In fact, one fan took a bit of
effort to get it to turn. It felt like someone was holding it in place
while I tried turning it--it was that bad. For the time being, I put the
Max back together and have an old, powerful fan pressed up against the side
of the Max, acting as a temporary exhaust fan. It's not the prettiest
thing, but it'll work until we get the replacement fans in.

The two smaller exhaust fans (newer models have 3) on my Max 4004 (1996)
have a manufacturer's part number of KDB204615M and can be obtained from
www.meci.com (their part number is 290-0615) for $4.95/each. They have a
$20 minimum order.

I don't know if the newer models (including 4002, 4048, etc.) use the same
parts or not. I think they do. I didn't pay attention to the larger intake
fan since it's still functioning fine.

Josh