Re: [Emerald] Emerald and NTMail

Randy Martin ( )
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:58:49 -0500

At 01:19 PM 7/19/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>"Dale E. Reed Jr." wrote:
> > Randy Martin wrote:
> > >
> > > Is anyone successfully using EmerAuth.dll to authenticate NTMail
> users? If
> > > so, can you give me a quick rundown on how you did it? Did you have to do
> > > anything different than what is in the EmerAuth documentation?
> >
> > Have you define a logfile and debug mode in EmerAuth and checked to
> > see what the logfile has? It typically will tell you what the problem
> > is. Also, double check your External System ID Configuration. If you
> > don't have the services associated to an ESID and EmerAuth configured
> > to use that ESID, then NTMail will not be able to see the users.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dale E. Reed Jr. Emerald and RadiusNT/X
> > IEA Software, Inc.
> >
> > For more information about this list (including removal) go to:
> >
>Also make sure you enter the Emerauth.dll in NTMail.
>System>DLL>Authentication DLL
>and place it (emerauth.dll) where NTMail knows to look for it.
><From NTMail Help>
>Authentication DLL
>NTMail allows you to implement your own user authentication mechanism
>should it
>be required. When NTMail starts, it looks for the DLL named in the
>registry key
>UserDLLLocation. NTMail will use the DLL whenever a user cannot be
>validated via
>the registry.

Thanks for the info. I have a few other questions.

1. How do you setup a "user" (I'm assuming that means a mailbox with a pop
username/password) in NTMail without setting up a username/password in the

2. Is there a way to have Emerald (via emerauth.dll or some other
mechanism) actually create the NTMail account when the user is created in

3. If a user already has an account in NTMail, is there an easy way (other
than editing the registry) to get rid of the username/password in NTMail so
that NTMail will authenticate against the Emerald database?

Any help would be appreciated.