RE: [RadiusNT] Urgent (timeout problem)

Denny Figuerres ( (no email) )
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 12:46:39 -0800

first try to determine the cause:

1) the Server
is it running any other stuff?
are SQL and Radius on different or the same box?
monitor you use of RAM ; are you swapping to disk at times?
( IMHO 128 Megs is just the *Minimum* RAM for running SQL Server )
=09

2) the network
how does traffic get from the server to the NAS?
how many NAS's talk to your server over this link?
how many colisions do you see during peak use?
is the "pipe" "large enouh" for this traffic
( ie: a 10 Meg Ether with a hub full of collisions=20
is to small and should at the lest go to 100 Meg ether )

3) the load
How many NAS's?
do the time-out's happen at "peak" time or all the time?
=09

-----Original Message-----
From: radiusnt-request@iea-software.com
[mailto:radiusnt-request@iea-software.com]On Behalf Of Nezar Ahmed
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2000 12:27 PM
To: radiusnt@iea-software.com
Subject: [RadiusNT] Urgent (timeout problem)

Somehow there is a problem with timing between my ascend max 6000 and
radiusnt 2.5.206. Some users get 'Authentication server time-out'. I
checked the radius debug and it does send an authentication ack. I set
the authentication time-out in my max to 20 seconds and still this
problem exists.
The database is on SQL server with 128 RAM and dual PIII 450 processors.
Is it possible that the server is not fast enough to respond quickly to
the max requests ? However I think 20 sec is good enough to overcome any
slowdowns.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Nezar