Re: [Emerald] Authentication problem

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:33:09 -0500

> From: <gulam@catsgroup.com>
> > I have found a registry key to force all users to use PAP, however I
> > have the following concerns:
> >
> > 1. Do all clients support PAP, if CHAP and MS-CHAP are not available
> > ? In a windows client, where exactly in DUN is the setting to use PAP

Windows 95/98/NT4/2000 all support PAP and CHAP. If CHAP is not enabled, it
uses PAP (unless for some reason the user has a post-dial-up terminal window
pop up). In Win95/98 from within Dial-Up Networking, right-click on the
connection profile, then click on "Server Types". CHAP corresponds to
"Require encrypted password"--when that's not set, PAP is automatically
used.
In Windows NT 4, from within Dial-Up Networking, go into the connection
properties and under the Security tab, the first entry ("accept any
authentication including clear text") refers to PAP. The second option,
"accept only encrypted authentication" refers to CHAP.
I don't remember off-hand how Windows 2000 handles this, but I think it's
almost the same as Windows 98.

> > 2. What about non windows clients ? e.g mac or unix.

These vary depending on the operating system. Even in cases where PAP may
not be available, there's usually some old scripting method that will get
the user logged on.

Josh