Re: [Emerald] Per second charging

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 12:32:46 +0000

Danny Sinang wrote:

> When our user checks the usage, we show them the Calldate field of the Start
> and Stop records on one line - per login. On the same line, they see the
> duration (accurate to the last second). This duration is simply the
> difference of the Stop record's Calldate and that of the Start record.
>
> At the start of every month, we simply sum up all these durations and charge
> the user accordingly.
>
> This works for me since I wrote my own ASP based billing system. I only use
> RadiusNT and an MS Access database.
>
> However, this is an issue with an ISP I am trying to help get set up. They
> wanna use Emerald and SQL Server. My billing system won't work off-the-shelf
> for them and we don't have the luxury of time.

Unless you take Acct-Delay-Time into consideration, you could be
charging
the customer for excess usage or possibly not enough. The
Acct-Session-Time
attribute in the stop record should be authoritive for the time, and its
in seconds. Summing the stop records is very accurate and you don't
have
to mess with figuring out the difference in start/stop records.

That is why there is an option in RadiusNT to not even keep the start
records in the DB.