Re: [Emerald] Info on line utilization

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 10:53:23 -0800

CPD JR wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I need help with SQL Query to show information on line utilization.
> In order to know what are the peak hours on a specific date range, etc
> I really appreciate all help.

TS Graph can show you the totals, but it doesn't break it down on
a time line to show peak time usage. The main reason is becaue the
Calls table is not ideal for calculating timeline type graphs.

For the next major release, there will be an additional table that
does receive historical data that is ideal for doing peak usage
type graphs. Its pretty straight forward. Add this table and proc
to your DB, and then schedule it to be ran at the frequency that you
need (ie, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 1 hour, etc). I think I was doing
15 or 20 min intervals and it was really good. The nice thing about
this approach is that it doesn't use the calls table, and it really
fast.

CREATE TABLE ServerHistory (
ServerID int NOT NULL ,
Date datetime NOT NULL DEFAULT GetDate() ,
Calls int NOT NULL
)
GO

CREATE Procedure UpdateServerHistory AS
Insert Into ServerHistory (ServerID, Date, Calls)
Select ServerID, GetDate(), count(*)
From Emerald..ServerPorts
Where AcctStatusType=1
Group By ServerID
GO

You can then use this query to get the time line type data,
including the number of calls per hour, etc.

Select ServerID, Hour=DatePart(Hour, Date), avg(Calls)
From ServerHistory
Where ServerID = xxx
and Date Between '1/10/99' and '1/11/99'
Group By ServerID, DatePart(Hour,Date)
Order By DatePart(Hour, Date)