RE: [Emerald] Total Control and Emerald 2.5

Info ( (no email) )
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:21:16 -0800

I am sorry Dale but this is true what Lamar is saying. I too bought and
paid for install. I even have a service contract with IEA. I have called
and reported these same problems many times and they have not been fixed.
Yes someone has called back, and we did try upgrading to a newer patch. But
that has never solved the problem. I first reported this problem back in
February. I agree that the software is a good product and for the most part
works well. But we have paid for something that we were told works fine
with USR TC's and it obviously does not in these areas. Now I understand
that not all product manufacturers do everything the same. But the fact is
that your company is telling people that there are not any issues with USR
TC's and that is not true.

Furthermore, I have sent, at Kurt White's request and yours, an entire copy
of my database to IEA over a month ago and was told by yourself and many
others there that this would allow you to fix the problem. I have never
once heard back. I believe that myself and others have done what we can to
help you resolve these bugs. So saying to Lamar that this is the first time
you have ever heard of these issues is not true at all.

-----Original Message-----
From: emerald-request@iea-software.com
[mailto:emerald-request@iea-software.com]On Behalf Of Dale E. Reed Jr.
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 1999 9:39 PM
To: emerald@iea-software.com
Subject: Re: [Emerald] Total Control and Emerald 2.5

Lamar Townsend wrote:

> When IEA was doing the upgrade on my software last week to 2.5 I told
> them that the Connect-info was not working in the Online menu, the Server
> and Ports info was not working on the RadLogs menu, and the graph program
> was only working on the first 23 ports of each chassis. I was told that
the
> RadLogs info could be fixed very easy (still is not working) but that I
> would have to call sales and pay to get a custom trigger written to make
the
> connect-info work. This is NOT going to happen. I know I'm not the only
> person on the planet running Emerald with the Total Control Hiper chassis.
> I was told when I purchased 2.2.3x that this stuff worked with this
hardware
> and now I see that was just a "get him to send us the check" deal. Nobody
> up there will address these posts in the list or via email. It must be
nice
> to be able to pick and choose what questions you want to address.

I'm sorry to say, but thats just not true. I've adresses these a bunch,
and
this is the first I have seen of the other USR problems you noted. If
you
send me connection information to your SQL Server, I'll fix those
problems.

> Don't get me wrong, this software works for the most part but the little
> things that actually make it a "nice" piece of software are not working.
Up
> until this point I have been very happy with IEA and their support but
when
> someone tells me that I am going to have to pay to have something fixed
that
> should work in the first place then that really was the last straw. With
> the amount of people using the software with the TC you would think we
could
> get it fixed. If there is a problem with the TC sending Connect-Speed
> instead of Connect-Info then fix the software to toggle between the two.
> What is it going to take to get this working? The data is there lets just
> get it into Emerald!

One of the problems here is that the USR is not using the RFC standard
attributes. Ascend has a bad habit of doing this as well. Its sorta
like
if you had a router that didn't do BGP like the BGP RFC said. Should
everyone
adjust to it, or should the vendor fix thier oversight? We have been
adding
work arounds for many shortcomings of vendors, and I don't see that
stopping
in the future, either.